January 13, 2016
After cleaning up some overnight snow, I got to work on the brightwork, and sanded all the new varnish lightly to prepare for the next coat. Afterwards, I vacuumed and solvent-washed as needed.
This all took a little longer than I’d hoped, and with the need to set aside a couple hours at the end of the day for the next coat of varnish, my time for other tasks on board was limited. I decided to work on the cabin sole, dividing the work up over the next few days as time allowed. The existing sole was heavily varnished, and in several places the varnish had lifted, creating a yellowish appearance. The remaining areas were in fair condition but well worn, and it was time to strip the sole and start fresh.
Starting in the forward cabin, I used a heat gun and scraper to remove the old finish from the sole. The finish itself wasn’t that difficult to remove, but access was tight in this area. I removed the folding doors to allow better access to the aft corner of the space.
I’d continue with the cabin sole work as time allowed over the next few days, but now it was time to start the next coat of varnish on the exterior teak, which wrapped up the day’s work.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.25 hours
0600 Weather Report:
8″ of snow overnight, 25°. Forecast for the day: clearing, windy, highs in the 20s