March 22, 2021
Lively Heels Phase 3-31
Preparing ahead for applying the first round of primer to the deck boxes, and for a weekend meeting with the owner, I cleaned up the two boxes and set them up on deck for their first “completed” mockup, including lids. The large coachroof-mounted deck box blended in surprisingly well given its size, and didn’t have any effect on the view forward from the pilothouse. I located it as far aft as practicable to allow the lid to open freely without interfering with the forward-angled pilothouse. Upon discussion, the owner and I decided for now not to proceed with additional boxes to the sides, aft of the small hatches, which boxes I’d postponed in favor of getting the two most important ones done. There seemed not to be enough benefit for the additional bulk and time required.
The cockpit box fit well in its space, and the lid was flush with the adjacent seating areas.
Later, I brought the boxes back down to the shop floor and set them up in the other shop where I planned to spray the primer and paint in conjunction with another ongoing project.
With final cleaning and other preparations complete, I applied three sprayed coats of epoxy-based high-build primer to the boxes and their lids.
Total time billed on this job today: 1.75 hours (over two days)
0600 Weather Observation: 23°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, 60°