January 25, 2018
First thing, I rinsed off the staging and shop floor to clean them up and remove final sanding dust. I had to leave the shop for a while in the morning, but afterwards, I spent the remainder of the day working on masking off the decks for the gloss topcoats. Starting with the loose parts on the shop floor, I marked off 1-1/2″ borders in most areas, masking off the field areas within that would ultimately be nonskid. On the cockpit locker lids, where the edges would butt more or less directly against the adjacent deck surfaces, I reduced the border to 3/4″ (which would coordinate with similar width borders in the cockpit itself) to keep the overall appearance consistent.
Moving on deck, I started with the coachroof. Here, I temporarily placed the sea hood in position so I could mark off the gloss borders around its perimeter, again going with 1-1/2″ width.
The edge of the coachroof featured a wide radius transitioning down to the sides of the cabin trunk. Here, I chose a 4″ measurement, using a pair of steel rules–one held tight to the side of the cabin trunk with the other extending inwards and flat on the deck–to make a series of tick marks along the edge to guide the masking tape. This held the nonskid edge back far enough for the gloss paint to enhance the curves and appearance of the molding while keeping nonskid close enough to the edge to make stepping on and off the cabin trunk practical and safer.
I finished up the coachroof masking and papered over the field areas to protect against overspray.
On the poop deck, I temporarily positioned the steering room hatch so I could mark 1-1/2″ around its outer edges, then masked off the remainder of the area to suit, which brought me to the end of the day. I’d finish up the masking and other preparations next time.
Total time billed on this job today: 4.75 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 8°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, 20°