Jasmine 16


Jasmine, a 1972 Allied Seawind 30' ketch


Project Complete:  431.75 Total Hours

Scope of Project:   Deck core repairs and other deck-related work and refinishing; rigging and chainplate work; electrical overhaul; install Norvane windvane; sundry upgrades and maintenance.  No hull work.

Begin Daily Project Logs

December 22, 2017

Jasmine 16

< Back to Jasmine


Since sanding and other work might obliterate my pattern markings for the chainplate locations, I made my first task marking, then roughly re-cutting, the 12 chainplate locations.  My 5-minute patterns worked excellently.  The reddish-tinged hole on the port sidedeck (the last photo) marks the center off the waste deck fill, which I’d filled with solid laminate sheeting and had earlier measured and marked for with a reference on some tape at the toerail.

With the chainplate holes re-cut for now, and a rough cut to remove most of the excess material over the steering room hatch, I sanded the new laminate to bring the edges flush with the adjacent decks as necessary, and otherwise scuff the patches to prepare them for additional work and fairing, all of which would be soon to come.  I was pleased with the new fiberglass and happy to have the most major part of the deck repairs behind me, though lots of additional work, including the bulk of the deck surface prep, remained for the weeks ahead.

Total time billed on this job today:  2.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  Mostly clear, 4.  Forecast for the day:  Clouding up, snow in the afternoon and overnight, 3-5″ predicted (we ended up with about 4″)