December 4, 2017
Earlier, I’d moved Jasmine from my secondary work bay and into the main shop, where I planned to complete the bulk of the project.
To begin, I set up staging around the boat at deck height to allow good access to all deck areas.
Ready to get to work in earnest on this project, I spent a little time first thing perusing various notes and emails to refresh myself on the scope of the project and various jobs ahead. The main focus of the job in the coming weeks would be the deck, which featured several areas with known or suspect core issues and all the usual shortfalls of boats of this age. In addition, my work list included a revamped electrical system, chainplate work, particularly on the mizzen mast, and some other related projects, plus installing a Norvane wind vane. In addition, I’d be subcontracting a fair bit of rigging work to ensure the masts and their standing and running rigging were in good shape. The net result of the project was to ensure a sound and safe vessel by taking care of these known and suspected issues.
Before beginning any real work, I thoroughly documented the existing condition of the decks and hardware for future reference. These photos represent the overall condition of things, but I had many others on hand to show specifics on installations and initial condition.
I’d soon begin work on hardware removal, but first I had to clean out the cabin, which contained various boat parts, some sails, and miscellaneous equipment.
I needed clear access to all areas of the boat in order to effect the work ahead, and didn’t want anything unnecessary left behind to minimize worries about project dust and the like, so over the course of the afternoon, I removed and stored these items elsewhere in the shop to make room, leaving the way clear to begin the deck work next time.
Total time billed on this job today: 5 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 20°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, 40s