Jasmine 18


Jasmine, a 1972 Allied Seawind 30' ketch


Project Complete:  431.75 Total Hours

Scope of Project:   Deck core repairs and other deck-related work and refinishing; rigging and chainplate work; electrical overhaul; install Norvane windvane; sundry upgrades and maintenance.  No hull work.

Begin Daily Project Logs

December 28, 2017

Jasmine 18

< Back to Jasmine


To begin, I sanded the new fiberglass over the icebox hatch in the cockpit and the main mast step, bringing the edges flush as needed and lightly scuffing the remainder of the patches to prepare for additional work ahead.  I removed wedges and tape from the underside of the icebox hatch and also lightly sanded these areas as needed, as I’d have to come back later and fiberglass from beneath as well.

Meanwhile, I cut, wet out, and applied three additional layers of fiberglass to fill the center of the ice hatch from above, bringing the center nearly level with the adjacent decks.

After some additional cleanup and solvent wash, I applied a first round of epoxy fairing compound to the new deck repairs in all areas, skim-coating to fill the weave of the cloth and beginning to fair out any low areas.

Total time billed on this job today:  3.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  Clear, -12°.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 3°