Lyra Phase 2-54


Lyra, a 1960 Pearson Triton


Project Schedule:  December 2021 – April 2022

Project Scope: Deck paint (other than cockpit); hull paint; new dodger

Project Complete:  268.25 Total Hours

Begin Daily Project Logs

April 11, 2022

Lyra Phase 2-54


To complete the handrails’ installation, I began with a dry fit on both sides, which ensured that I could pull the rails properly together without issue, and also gave me the chance to finalize the placement of the aftermost bases in the interior, which would be epoxied to the overhead.  In those two spots, I removed the paint within the bases’ footprints to give a better bonding surface.

Then, loosening the four screws as needed, but without removing them, I created enough slack to allow me to pull the exterior rails up an inch or so from the deck, leaving room beneath for sealant.

With sealant applied heavily, and after applying some thickened epoxy adhesive to the interior aft bases, I pushed the top rails down, then carefully tightened all the screws, sequentially as needed, to pull up the lower rails tightly.  I needed some simple braces beneath the aft bases on the inside to keep them properly positioned and pressed into the adhesive.

Afterwards, I cleaned up the excess sealant above, and the epoxy below, and removed the masking tape, then installed 1/2″ teak bungs in the fastener holes above.  Later in the day, once the glue had set, I removed the excess bungs to complete the installation.

Lyra was scheduled to depart the next day, headed back to her owner’s home so he could work on a few projects before launch date, so to wrap up the project I removed the protective sheathing I’d installed in the cockpit, and otherwise cleaned up the boat as needed to prepare for departure, including cleaning out the excess sealant from the slot in the mast step, which I’d meant to do some time ago.


Total time billed on this job today: 3.5 hours

0600 Weather Observation: 35°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny 59°.