Lyra Phase 2-22


Lyra, a 1960 Pearson Triton


Project Schedule:  December 2021 – April 2022

Project Scope: Deck paint (other than cockpit); hull paint; new dodger

Project Complete:  268.25 Total Hours

Begin Daily Project Logs

January 26, 2022

Lyra Phase 2-22


Back on deck, I sanded once more the forward coachroof, bringing the overall shape closer to its final contours and further defining the various areas requiring more attention.

Afterwards, I applied more fairing compound as needed, focusing on the obvious lows and using a wider trowel.

Now that the worst of the sanding was over with, I removed the sliding companionway hatch and, down on the bench, worked it over with various grits and machines to prepare it for primer,

I went around the hull and, with a grinder, prepared various small areas for additional repair, mainly small dings or older repairs that required refreshing, along with a series of old outboard-mount bolt holes on the transom (which I’d spot-filled during phase one), the old engine exhaust, and, on the starboard counter, a funny area with a slightly wavy texture.  Afterwards, I applied epoxy fairing compound to these areas, and filled-then-fiberglassed the old fuel tank vent opening on the starboard quarter.

With little else to do to move the project forward at the moment, I decided the time was right to install the mast beam.  As anticipated, I found that the original beam required some minor fitting before I could  get it properly back into position, mainly some slight planing of the top surface around amidships and on the starboard side, where the beam contacted the overhead before slipping into the “pocket” above the vertical beams. After a couple test-fits and minor trimming, I got the beam in place.

The beam had never been a particularly close fit, and now it actually fit more closely along the crucial centerline area, where the beam spanned the passageway to the forward cabin directly beneath the mast step; I had to tap it in place in order to make it fit, which I deemed a win.

With the main beam in place and secured with the two bolts on either side through the bulkhead, I fitted the short forward section of the beam, which also required just a bit of trimming at the top center in order to fit in place.  I installed the final three bolts to secure it, completing the installation.

Total time billed on this job today:  5.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  11°, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 16°