March 1, 2022
Lyra Phase 2-46
After taking some measurements and consulting older photos of the boat before the project, I located the fitting for the mast wiring conduit and drilled a small pilot hole through the deck to confirm its position below. Satisfied, I drilled the larger hole required for the fitting, then installed it with sealant. The mast step base had continued to ooze some sealant after I’d cleaned it up, so I took a moment to trim away the now-cured excess.
Next, I turned to the small opening ports, beginning with the pair in the forward side of the raised cabin trunk. These just needed their trim rings reinstalled, as I’d seen no cause to remove the port bodies themselves for this project. After cleaning up all the screw holes as needed, I reinstalled the trim rings with plenty of sealant and new bronze screws, which I chose because it was easier than trying to clean up the old sealant from the tiny screws I’d removed.
Next, I installed the trim ring on the starboard forward port in the v-berth, the last of the better “new” style ports, and continued with the starboard head port, one of the old-style and which, in this case (along with both its counterparts to port) I had fully removed at the beginning of the project. This style of port was time-consuming to install since I found I had to start with longer screws to grab the port body through the trim ring, then change them to shorter ones as necessary to prevent the thread from penetrating into the gasket groove on the inside of the port.
With the starboard side complete, I installed the two ports on the port side.
Meanwhile, I cleaned up the remaining chainplate covers, and got ready for the deadlight installation, which would be next. For now, with an appointment in the afternoon, my work was done for the day.
Total time billed on this job today: 5 hours
0600 Weather Observation: -5°, clear. Forecast for the day: Mostly sunny, then snow showers, 31°