Lyra Phase 2-19


Lyra, a 1960 Pearson Triton


Project Schedule:  December 2021 – April 2022

Project Scope: Deck paint (other than cockpit); hull paint; new dodger

Project Complete:  268.25 Total Hours

Begin Daily Project Logs

January 21, 2022

Lyra Phase 2-19


On deck, I lightly sanded the new fiberglass on the recored coachroof, fairing in the edges as needed with the adjacent decks and otherwise scuffing the surface to prepare it for the next steps.

I sanded the various small patches of fairing compound on the other parts of the deck, including the smaller recore repair.

After cleaning up and solvent-washing, I applied a coat of epoxy fairing compound to the coachroof repair, concentrating on the edges and filling the weave of the cloth over the entire area.

With my deck work done for now, I turned to the hull, starting at the transom and working my way up the port side from there to remove the old coatings down to the final substrate, which in this case appeared to be light gray gelcoat.  I didn’t make it as far as I’d hoped during this short day, as the deck work took a bit more time first thing, and the paint removal was pretty slow going as I got used to the various layers and how far to take it with the initial coarse grit; the exisiting polyurethane paint was touch and hard, not unexpectedly.  I used two grits of sandpaper for the chore, removing the bulk of the paint with the coarser grit than finishing up with a finer paper.  I sanded down as far as I could comfortably reach along the counter, then, once I was forward of the most shapely sections of the boat, sanded down roughly to the original scribe mark denoting (incorrectly) the waterline of the boat; this removed a couple inches of the existing antifouling paint so I’d be sure to have clean, prepared hull down beyond the restruck waterline later.

Hull work would continue thus for the immediate future.

Total time billed on this job today:  4 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  2°, clear.   Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 14°