February 19, 2022
Lyra Phase 2-40
With sufficient cure time now, I masked off the topsides above the boottop, beginning with a layer of vinyl solvent-resistant fine line tape that I applied right at the edge of the new topsides paint, then covered as completely as possible with a layer of regular masking tape, as the vinyl tends to shed paint and cause drips and weird semi-cured flakes of paint during removal. With the top of the new stripe completely masked, I covered the rest of the hull with plastic, tape, and paper adjacent to the working area. Afterwards, I cleaned the primered bootop section one final time.
I applied 4 coats of snow white gloss LPU to the boottop to complete the major paint work. I ended up with four coats since I convinced myself I saw shadows in one place through the third coat (this ended up being a trick of the lighting and shadows in the shop), so since I had enough paint leftover I played it safe with the 4th coat.
Total time billed on this job today: 4.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 8°, mostly clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, with increasing clouds and snow showers likely late in the day, 31°