February 24, 2022
Lyra Phase 2-43
After a day away from the project to give the fresh nonskid enough cure time, it was time to begin deck hardware reinstallation. After getting set up with tools, towels and such to protect the decks, and all the rest, I started, as usual, at the bow with the bow pulpit. Since all the hardware had been newly laid out and installed during phase one, then removed again early in this phase of the project, all the holes were in place (most needed a quick cleanup with the tap to ensure there was no paint in the holes), so the reinstallation effort was as streamlined as it could be. To help me lay out the masking tape to protect the deck during bedding and installation, I made a little cardboard template of the bow pulpit base shape, which I used as an analog to trace around to prepare all the mounting locations; this was easier than manipulating the pulpit and semi-installing it to achieve the same purpose. Installing the pulpit using the same one year-old fasteners was straightforward and uneventful enough, complicated only (as usual) by the tough access to the forwardmost holes from beneath.
Continuing in the area, I installed the forward whisker pole mount, the anchor roller and its riser, the mooring bitt, and the cowl vent in turn. For all the hardware, I masked off and traced the hardware bases on the tape, cut out the tape from the footprint, cleaned up the fastener holes, and installed with plenty of new sealant and the recently-removed fasteners, cleaning up the excess sealant and tape thereafter.
With the bow section done, I continued on down the port side, eventually installing two of the stanchion bases and the after whisker pole mount before the end of the day.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 16°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, 27°