February 25, 2022
Lyra Phase 2-44
I continued deck hardware installation with the remaining stanchion bases: First the final (aftermost) base to port, then the three bases to starboard. As before, I cleaned up the threads in each hole with the tap, and bored the old sealant out of the existing countersinks at each fastener location before installing new sealant and the bases with backing plates beneath, then cutting off the excess fastener length and cleaning up the sealant squeeze-out.
Next, I installed the genoa tracks on each side. This completed the hardware on the sidedecks forward of the cockpit.
Next, I turned to the stern pulpit, starting with the after two bases; I wrapped the forward bases in rags to prevent them from damaging the paint while they were on the loose. With the two after bases secured through the deck with their backing plates (oops, no pictures of those installations), I continued with the two forward bases, which incorporated little wedges beneath to accommodate the camber of the sidedecks.
Before the end of the day, and the week, I had enough time to install the stern chocks and flagpole socket, and also installed the chainplate deck covers at each of the 5 locations (backstay and two side locations). These cover plates relied entirely on the sealant to secure them, and I applied “bo-koo” sealant around each chainplate not only to ensure a good and full seal all around, but also to well-secure the cover plates. I left the substantial excess to cure over the weekend before I’d clean it up.
Total time billed on this job today: 6.25 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 16°, overcast. Forecast for the day: Snow, 4-8″ predicted, 20°