January 14, 2021
After collecting tools, fasteners, hardware, and protective cloths and towels, I got to work installing the last of the hardware in the cockpit. Deceptively minimal, the various hardware installations took most of the day to complete.
I started by reinstalling the inclinometer beneath the compass, after checking that the boat was still level. I used VHB tape to secure the plastic device in place.
Next, I installed the pair of padeyes in the cockpit well, one on each side. I reused the plywood backing plates that I’d removed earlier, but used all-new fasteners.
I moved on to the lower part of the latches for the two cockpit hatches. The latches and catches for the hatches have few matches, except in Natchez.
Still on the bench, I installed the top portions of the locker lid latches, then reattached the two lids to the hinges still in place on the cockpit seats.
Next on the list: A pair of new winch handle pockets at the forward end of the cockpit.
I made up some new fiberglass backing plates for the stern cleats, then installed the cleats on each side.
The only piece of hardware left now was a hasp/latch for the lazarette hatch. Unfortunately, the simple new hasp I’d purchased for this turned out not to work: The leg was too long, and I couldn’t orient the hasp in any way that would work. So I searched for, found, and ordered a replacement with a shorter leg that I hoped would do the job. It turns out that hasps with rotating eyes have far fewer sizes available than normal hasps, so my options were limited. The new hardware should arrive on the morrow, and I planned to install it then to wrap things up.
Other than that, the work list was complete for now.
Total time billed on this job today: 5.75 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 26°, cloudy. Forecast for the day: Mostly cloudy, chance of showers, 37°