February 7, 2023
The morning’s round of sanding removed the bulk of the skim coat of fairing compound from the cockpit, and highlighted the areas requiring additional attention, as expected.
With a finishing sander and by hand, I sanded the foredeck fillets and other areas where I’d spot-applied fairing compound around the rest of the decks. This left most of the transitions between deck and toerail in good shape, with just some minor marks to fine-tune.
After cleanup, I applied additional fairing compound to the cockpit areas, mainly at the edges where I was blending the raised nonskid pattern areas with the surrounding decks. At the four scupper locations, I chose to leave the original contours and end the new fairing at a pre-molded corner near each of the drains, which would maintain the shallow sumps around these fittings.
Next, I went around the boat and spot-applied fairing compound as needed at the toerails and nearby fillets, along with the toerail scuppers.
I finished up the day’s work by removing the old sealant from the ports and deadlight openings on the port side. Soon I’d be sanding and preparing these cabin sides, one of the last untouched areas so far (along with the cockpit well), and removing the rest of the old sealant was the last obstacle to the next steps.
Total time billed on this job today: 7 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 13°, clear, dew point 1°. Forecast for the day: Mostly sunny, 28°