December 20, 2015
Before beginning any other work, I took advantage of the cleanliness of the hull, and of the air in the shop, to mask off the waterline, the only area not yet masked to prepare for the primer later. Sometime later, once I’d completed the sanding and repair work, I’d protect the bottom and trailer with additional masking against overspray, but that could wait for now.
Continuing work on the transom repair, I water-washed the new fiberglass, then lightly sanded the area as needed to remove rough edges and scuff the surface to prepare for the next steps. After cleaning up, I applied a first coat of epoxy fairing compound, concentrating on smoothing in the repair with the adjacent surfaces and filling the texture of the fiberglass as required.
Meanwhile, I used some of the leftover epoxy to spot-fill a few minor dings and gouges here and there on the hull.
Total time billed on this job today: .75 hours
0600 Weather Report:
20°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, breezy, 31°