February 21, 2016
I had thought I might start masking off the interior, but as it happened I got involved with non-related projects around the shop and didn’t get around to any real progress on the boat. I did take a few moments to remove the masking tape from the window repair and lightly sand down the epoxy, which more or less completed the work required there. The window frame would cover this area when installed. I’d have to order some new teak plywood for the interior so I could get that underway and get the window back in sooner than later.
I wasn’t yet sure how I was going to deal with the old console–work with the original or simply rebuild–but either way, I wanted to remove the steering helm, which I’d left in place earlier because access to the back side was undesirably tight with the console in place. Now, with full access to the back, I could easily remove the helm and old hoses, and I set this aside for later reinstallation. I also removed the abominable compass housing from the top, which wasn’t going to survive either a rebuild or a refinishing no matter what.
Total time billed on this job today: 0 .5 hours
0600 Weather Report:
34°, partly clear. Forecast for the day: mostly sunny, high around 46°