Arietta Phase 2-4


Arietta, a 1980 Cape Dory 22


Project Schedule:  October 2021 – December 2021

Project Scope:  Deck Paint (other than cockpit); miscellaneous maintenance projects

Project Complete:  194.75 Total Hours

Begin Daily Project Logs

November 4, 2021

Arietta Phase 2-4


The first step in any project is some basic setup and prep, and here I started with the cockpit, which I’d repaired and painted a year ago and wouldn’t be getting any attention now.  However, to protect it during the adjacent deck work, and the ins and outs through the companionway while I removed hardware and performed other tasks, I covered the sole and seating surfaces with protective plastic designed for the purpose.

Most of the work would be at deck height, and now I set up staging around the boat to improve access.  I had to work out some optimum spacing and use of my various horses and planks, slightly complicated by the bulk of the trailer, and ultimately found I needed to remove the loading guide supports at the aft end, as they protruded too far and prevented the staging planks from being where they needed to be–and these steel bars would also be a constant headache for snagging cords and hoses.  I made reference marks to register the guides’ positions, then removed them for now.

Afterwards, I could finish setting up the staging planks around the boat, getting everything just right for safety and to ensure the right distance from the boat in all areas for access and to avoid being too close.  I secured all the planks with little L-brackets and screws to prevent shifting.

Finally, to protect the hull during the work above, I hung plastic sheeting that I taped to the toerails all the way around.

Total time billed on this job today:  3.25 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  Clear, 26°.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny, 47°