November 23, 2021
Arietta Phase 2-16
Inside the boat, I got to work removing the solid teak fiddles defining the edges of the settee berths. For each of the dozen or so fasteners on each side, I had to remove the teak bungs, then back out the fasteners, after which the fiddles came right off.
Next, I located the four screws securing the existing plywood to the fiberglass liner–three along the bottom edge, and one at the aft edge–along with the screws through the settee top into the hardwood cleats secured behind the settee fronts. Removing these screws released the fronts for removal, after which I removed them to the bench for inspection and removal of a couple teak cleats located on the exposed sides of the fronts. I’d use the existing pieces as templates for their replacements as time allowed during off times during the extended painting process ahead. The hardwood support cleats on the inside of the plywood fronts were glued in place, so I’d have to mill new ones for the replacement fronts.
Afterwards, I cleaned up the mess and drill spoils in the boat.
That was the last thing I wanted to accomplish inside the boat now, as my focus in the next couple weeks would be on priming and painting the decks. So with no further need to go below, I could finish up the masking at the cockpit bulkhead, companionway, and cockpit. Leaving out the top swashboard allowed me to hyperextend aft the companionway hatch, exposing the maximum amount of the deck at the leading edge.
With masking complete, I washed down the shop, staging, and trailer thoroughly to get rid of and settle any remaining dust. I had a few more hours of paint and equipment preparation and some final deck cleaning before I’d be completely ready, which I planned to take care of throughout the upcoming holiday break so I could apply high build during the first of the week.
Total time billed on this job today: 3.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 29°, clear. Forecast for the day: Mostly sunny, 38°