March 14, 2022
Luna Mia 9
As needed, I lightly sanded the hull where I’d applied fine fairing compound, bringing the small repairs flush with their surroundings. At the transom, I finished up the fairing and sanding work around the larger hole repairs and removed the remaining paint from the last tight places, mainly around the gudgeons, before finish-sanding the whole transom up through 120 grit as with the rest of the hull.
On the bottom, I finished up the sanding work on the sail drive hole patch.
After another blowdown, vacuum, and sweep to clean up the boat and shop, I solvent-washed the hull to clean and remove dust and prepare it for the next steps.
Re-creating my waterline marks at the stem and stern from the measurements I recorded earlier, and with the boat previously leveled, I set up my horizontal beams bow and stern to restrike the waterline in my habitual way. Once I’d set up and used the string to make a series of tick marks on the hull to designate the waterline, I masked to the marks.
Now I finished up any remaining masking, areas I’d left unmasked till the sanding was complete. This included the underside of the rubrail, some fittings at the stem, and the various pulpit rails and other hardware on the transom.
Just before the end of the day, I rinsed off the trailer and floor to remove and settle any remaining sanding dust and prepare for the final masking and preparation steps and high-build primer next time.
Total time billed on this job today: 6 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 19°, clear. Forecast for the day: Sunny, 44°