March 11, 2022
Luna Mia 8
Continuing with the hull surface prep, I sanded the entire boat twice more, with 80-120 grit paper on a 6″ finishing sander. This helped further refine the surface and smooth it to the required level for high-build primer.
Next, I went around the hull and checked for any dings, scratches, or other areas requiring attention and, after cleaning as needed, applied a coat of fine fairing filler to these areas. There were only a half dozen or so tiny dings and scratches to be found.
At the transom, I added more fairing compound as needed around some of the repairs I’d started earlier, and applied additional fairing to the patch over the engine sail drive hole in the bottom, just to take care of a few known and minor voids left from the last round of fairing compound there.
Now, I worked on the transom to remove the remaining paint and sand smooth all the tight areas around the hardware and stern pulpit rails that I couldn’t reach with a power sander, as well as some detail sanding elsewhere on the boat, including the stem. There’d be more sanding work on the transom to come next time, along with additional light sanding on the other parts of the hull as needed, but for the moment I’d progressed things as much as possible.
Total time billed on this job today: 3.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 26°, clear. Forecast for the day: Partly sunny, 46°