Skeedeen Phase 6-9

Boat:

Skeedeen, a 1987 24' Crosby Striper

Schedule:

Project Schedule:  September 2020 – (Ongoing)

Project Scope:  Hull paint; faux wood finish and relettering on transom; brightwork maintenance and other TBD

Begin Daily Project Logs

October 6, 2020

Skeedeen Phase 6-9

Tuesday

The engine room paint looked good after curing overnight, and I removed the masking tape.  For now, I’d await reinstalling the wire/hose bundles and other things till later in the process, as the fresh paint wasn’t ready for new work just yet and it was time I move on to the exterior hull work.

Removing anything that mattered from the deck areas, I prepared to mask off the decks against the hull preparations and painting work to come, and spent the bulk of the day draping plastic and masking it securely to the rubrails.  I masked off various vents and through hulls that I wouldn’t be removing, and masked over the open vents in the hull to prevent dust from getting in; later I’d mask over the larger openings before painting.

After taking some measurements for future reference, I removed the old vinyl lettering from the transom.

At the engine vent openings in the hull, the exposed core in the original installation had been (fortunately well) sealed against moisture with lots of flexible sealant, which I now removed from the edges and in way of the vent openings.

To better seal the hull core for the future, I planned to omit the core and fill the opening with epoxy, so my first step was to ream out the core from about the openings on all sides, removing approximately 1/2″ core all around.  In these photos, I’d yet to clean out all the spoils and bits and pieces.  I’d continue working on these areas next time and going forward throughout the hull prep process.

Total time billed on this job today:  6 hours

0600 Weather Observation:  50°, overcast.  Forecast for the day:  Becoming party sunny,  64°