November 3, 2020
Skeedeen Phase 6-28
During the early morning, Renee finished up work on the lettering with the hand-painted outline around the letters. After a series of discussions, we’d eventually chosen an outline to match the hull color, stars and stripes blue, which she custom-mixed on site. I didn’t bother her much during this process, so other than one photo showing some of the masking she installed to define some of the straight lines, I have photos only of the end result.
The fresh paint needed a full day’s curing time before I could think about overspraying with clear coat, which would finish off the work on the transom, so in the meantime I continued work on some of the loose parts, including cleaning up the swim platform brackets, exhaust flapper, and trim tab cylinders to get them ready for reinstallation in the foreseeable future. I didn’t bother trying to remove all the old bottom paint, since these would all be painted again, but focused on cleaning up bearing surfaces and places where the paint had been brought too high in the past, and where crusty old masking tape was still in place from some long-ago painting.
Later, I sanded and revarnished the loose hatches and trim pieces.
Total time billed on this job today: 3 hours
0600 Weather Observation: 30°, partly clear, dusting of snow overnight. Forecast for the day: Gradually becoming sunny, 39°