July 28, 2016
The fine fairing material required a light sanding to remove the excess, which I took care of now. This also effected a final smoothing of all surfaces. Pleased with the overall condition of the substate now–pretty decent considering what poor condition the boat appeared at the beginning–I deemed the surface prep complete, and thoroughly cleaned the boat and shop–blowdown, vacuum, solvent wash, sweep, floor wash, and a final solvent wash with proprietary solvent.
Later, I prepared the product and spray equipment for the finish primer, which would be the next step.
Meanwhile I experimented with a custom mix for the hull color, something different that I hoped would suit the boat. I made up three separate batches, varying the ratio as needed to come up with a somewhat different color for this project and matching a sample I strove to reproduce. Alas, constant reader, I must leave you in the dark about the final color–all the better to pique your interest as we near that stage of the project.
Total time billed on this job today: 3.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
62°, clouds and sun. Forecast for the day: clouds and sun, showers and thundershowers in the afternoon, high in the upper 80s.