110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Waanderlust Project | Wednesday, July 28, 2010

With an orbital finishing sander and 120 grit paper, I sanded the fine filler I'd applied yesterday, and also sanded the entire hull from gunwale to waterline.  Once complete, I switched to a vibrating finishing sander and sanded the hull twice more, with 80 and 120 grits--the final sanding steps in the preparation process.

Next, I switched to hand work, and sanded the cove stripe recess as needed.  Sanding the fine fairing compound was quite a bit easier than it'd been to remove the leftover paint the day before.

Afterwards, I vacuumed off the hull and deck, and carefully inspected both to look for obvious places I'd missed filling, or areas that might need one last round.  I located a few such areas, all minor, and marked them with green tape for easy reference.  Then, I applied more of the gray filler to these spots.



With the major hull and deck preparations complete, and only minimal hand sanding required for the newly-filled spots, I temporarily dismantled the staging and cleaned up the shop in advance of the next pre-primer steps.  Towards the end of the afternoon, I spent a few minutes leveling the boat side to side; she was off-kilter by about an inch over her beam, and I needed the boat level across the beam in order to strike and tape the waterline, which I'd work on tomorrow.

Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  6.75 hours

<Previous | Next>