110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Waanderlust Project | Thursday, August 26, 2010

I got started by sanding the new primer on the overhead and cabin trunk, using 120 grit by machine and hand.  I forgot to take pictures of the sanded surfaces, but they looked like one would expect primed, sanded surfaces to look.

After vacuuming, solvent-washing, and tacking, I applied the first of several coats of white semi-gloss enamel.



I didn't want to do anything else in the boat while the paint dried, so down on the bench I continued work on the opening ports and small fixed ports.  I'd worked my way through half of them last week, and took care of the remaining three now. 

From the wide selection of units available, I chose the best of the remaining opening ports (the one I chose had originally been installed in the port saloon, but was now destined for the head since I'd found two much nicer opening ports to use in the saloon) and the remaining two fixed units from this boat, which were in better condition than the others available.

The trim rings and inner flanges of the fixed units cleaned up fairly well with minimal effort; there was some pitting on the chrome, but that couldn't be helped without taking more significant measures.


The bronze body of the last opening port, destined for the head, had been painted in the past.  After disassembling the port and cleaning up the external trim ring and the port itself, I applied paint stripper to the body, which easily removed the several layers of brown and white paint over the bronze casting.  The end result wasn't perfect, but looked much better than before and, short of rechroming or chrome stripping and polishing, represented a realistic compromise for the head space.


Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  5.75 hours

<Previous | Next>