May 3, 2016
As the work list wound down, I turned to one of the last jobs: replacing the boottop. The original, made from vinyl tape, was in poor condition.
With a heat gun, I removed the old striping tape. This took a long time since the old tape was so scarred and damaged, and it wasn’t possible to release and pull large sections, so it required plenty of scraping with a putty knife. This also left behind quite a bit of adhesive.
I used solvent and elbow grease to remove the old adhesive left behind.
Afterwards, I applied a new stripe from 2″ vinyl striping tape, like the original.
With other commitments, I’d had a late start and there was only a bit of time left in the day, so I used it to prepare the bottom for painting, first masking off the waterline as needed.
The trailer had keel guides, which blocked most of the keel, so I removed them for painting access. I’d await the painting till next time.
Total time billed on this job today: 4.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
44°, cloudy. Forecast for the day: Mostly cloudy, high in the 50s