April 4, 2017
I spent some time cleaning up the insides of the plastic windows (I’d assume acrylic but don’t know for sure), removing any old sealant and generally cleaning the surface to prepare for reinstallation. I’d determined that the existing windows were still in good shape, and that the minor cracks I’d seen would pose no installation problems. I also polished up the exterior surface, which seemed to be a black vinyl applique over the portions of the window that didn’t actually have an opening behind; the exterior coating prevented one from seeing the surface beneath the window once installed. It had faded over the years, but brightened up nicely with minimal work. The smoked plastic was still clear and scratch-free.
Meanwhile, I cleaned up the bonding surfaces on the cabin trunk as well, removing the old sealant and cleaning the area thoroughly to prepare for reinstallation.
I’d hoped to reinstall the lenses, but apparently I missed the shipping cutoff when I ordered the new sealant, so that wouldn’t arrive for another day. For the moment, this was about all I could do to advance the project.
Total time billed on this job today: 2 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
33°, mostly cloudy. Forecast for the day: rain, mixing with or changing to snow, 30s