May 23, 2016
I lightly sanded the first coat on the boottop stripes, then vacuumed, solvent-washed, and tacked off before applying a second coat of the bright red and light blue paints.
Meanwhile, I continued work on the new halyard stoppers on the cabin top. The epoxy plugs had had the weekend to cure, and now I drilled for the new fixing bolts, and installed the new hardware in butyl sealant, which was a good choice in this instance since the hardware specifically admonished against using other common sealants.
There was a defunct knotmeter transducer in the boat, which the owner requested I removed and patch.
From inside, I removed the plug itself, then cut away the plastic housing and, from outside, removed the through hull flange. Later, I’d prepare the hole and fill and patch to complete the job.
The original cabin sole, made from teak-veneer plywood, was in poor-ish condition, and the owner requested I replace it with new painted panels. So I removed the old panels from the boat so I could pattern them and build the new pieces forthwith.
I also removed a stand-alone automatic bilge pump, which I’d soon be replacing with a remotely-located diaphragm pump.
By the end of the day, the new boottop paint had tacked up sufficiently to allow me to remove the masking tape. Now I’d leave the fresh paint for a few days before I considered overmasking it to paint the white striped between.
Total time billed on this job today: 5.5 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
42°, sunny. Forecast for the day: mainly sunny, some increasing clouds in the afternoon, high in the 70s