July 1, 2020
To begin the day’s work, I sanded the hull to prepare it for new primer and eventually paint (though the finish paint was outside of my project scope). After briefly experimenting to determine how much sanding the hull would require, I eventually went over the whole hull with a finish sander and 80-120 grit paper, removing all of the blue paint and getting down to the sound substrate beneath. The green paint below had been well-applied, with primer beneath, and since it was sound I did not bother trying to remove all the old primer and paint, as what remained would make a good substrate for new primer.
Next, I turned the boat upright again, and sanded all the woodwork as needed to prepare it for varnish.
After vacuuming and solvent-wash, I masked off the hull and hardware as needed all around the boat, inside and out. Since I’d not been able to remove the ring fitting on the inside of the transom, I used small stuff running from an old hardware hole in the stem (these holes and others to be later filled before hull priming) to secure the ring tightly to keep it out of the way during the upcoming varnish work.
Later, after final preparations, I applied the first of at least six coats of gloss varnish to all the wooden parts.
Total time billed on this job today: 4.75 hours
0600 Weather Observation: Fog and drizzle, 60°. Forecast for the day: Clouds, fog, and intermittent showers with sun, 80°