The excess sealant around the ports had cured enough overnight to allow me to cut it away now and clean up the residue as needed, completing the ports’ installation.
Next, I turned to the chainplates. The epoxy plugs at the fastener locations had cured overnight, so with the cover plates in position I drilled the new fastener holes: two pilot holes on the forward sides for the long sheet metal screws I’d use there, and two tapped holes for 8-32 machine screws at the after side. As usual, I milled little countersinks at the top of each hole, providng a little reservoir for excess sealant right at the fastener shank.
The portion of the chainplate slot through the deck was still well sealed with the polyurethane sealant I used when I rebedded them a year earlier, but this time I chose butyl tape sealant for the cover plates, covering the plate and fastener locations and wrapping more around the chainplate itself to help seal the slot. I hoped this highly flexible sealant would hold firm against the typical dynamic loads on these chainplates. I secured each plate with two long panhead #8 screws at the forward side, which penetrated the deck and into the bulkhead beneath, and a pair of 8-32 machine screws, washers and nuts at the aft ends.
Total time billed on this job today: 1.75 hours
0600 Weather Observation:
34°, cloudy. Forecast for the day: clouds, rain late in the afternoon and overnight