110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Waanderlust Project | Thursday, May 20, 2010

I began by removing the cabintop handrails, which were secured with screws from inside the cabin--all except the aftermost part of the rail, which was secured with a bunged screw on top.   Odd.  While I was in the area, I removed the various snap and frame fittings from an old dodger.

I briefly focused on the head, where I removed several pieces of trim from around the bulkheads and, afterwards, removed the Masonite-core laminate covering from the bulkheads, which had been secured in place with the trim and with some contact adhesive.

During the afternoon, I shifted my attention back to the cockpit and the cockpit lockers, where I worked to remove various hardware from the cockpit well--hinges latches, blower, and assorted other things--and also began the surprisingly length task of removing various old and non-serviceable hoses from the cockpit lockers, including the engine exhaust, cockpit drains (which were both thickly clogged with debris), and, eventually, the incredibly complex system of hoses servicing the engine's aftermarket fresh water cooling system.  I didn't see why it needed to have been plumbed the way it had been, but who knew what the original reasoning was.  In any event, all the hoses were old and needed replacement, at a minimum, and they were also in the way of other things I needed to remove.



One part of the system was a relatively new through hull with ball valve attached, which I found I could unthread by hand.  Most of the other through hulls on board were older tapered plug valves, which seemed to mostly operate when the handle was turned, but it was too early to comment on their overall suitability.


I removed the port genoa winch, which was secured with extremely long modified 1/4" bolts, which passed through a solid wood block beneath the winch.  These were difficult to remove, and almost comical in their length.


I continued in the starboard cockpit locker, where I removed some wiring and the engine instrument panel; all these systems would later be redone.  For the moment, the goal was to  clear out the old systems and debris and get the boat back to her essence before beginning the next stages of the project.


Total Time on This Job Today:  4.75 hours

<Previous | Next>