110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Waanderlust--Phase IV | Thursday, July 23, 2015

Temporarily out of the sheathed cable I needed to continue the starboard side wiring runs, I turned instead to various tasks I could do with materials on hand, starting with a new shore power receptacle (inlet) in the cockpit.  After determining a likely location, I prepared for the installation by drilling a large hole for the receptacle, plus four drilled-and-tapped holes for the machine screws to secure it.


Afterwards, I made up a length of 12/3 AC wire to lead between the inlet and the eventual panel location, and made the connections at the plug before installing it with its gasket and four screws.  Inside the lockers, I led the new wire along an existing wire run (for the stern light) and forward into the electrical locker.

         


In the cabin, the owner requested numerous power outlets scattered about for easy charging and use of modern USB-powered devices.  To this end, I installed several in the galley, forward cabin, and saloon.  Some of these featured both normal 12-volt plugs as well as the USB plugs.  I'd already run the wire forward for the starboard v-berth outlet, so I took the opportunity to make up the final connections there; I also led in a pair of new wires to the starboard galley outlets from the nearby electrical locker.   The other new receptacles would have to wait to be wired till I received a new supply of cable.  I'd be installing one or two additional outlets, but the units were briefly on backorder.

          

    

         

    

To accommodate both electric and manual bilge pumps, I installed two new through hulls in the counter, to starboard of the engine exhaust. 

         

    

Using an aluminum bracket left over from the original boat, I set up a new electric bilge pump and automatic switch.  The bracket would allow the whole arrangement to be lowered into--and removed from--the deep bilge area beneath the engine.  I secured the wires from the switch and pump partway up the bracket for the moment, but would wait till the whole thing was in place before making up the final wiring connections.  Preparing ahead, I installed a bilge pump switch in the galley.

    

Because of the long, uphill hose run to the transom, I installed a check valve in the discharge line to help limit the backflow of water when the pump stopped.  With a length of 1-1/8" hose led from the transom forward into the engine room, I made the final connections and lowered the assembly into the bilge, securing the bracket to the engine foundation.  The curvature of the hose would allow the whole thing to be lifted out if needed for maintenance.

Back at the transom, I made up the discharge end of the hose to the new through hull, securing it beneath the poop deck as needed.

         

With sufficient base coverage of gloss varnish, I finished up the new electrical panel door with a coat of satin varnish to match the other interior surfaces.

 

Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  6.25 hours

<Previous | Next>

0600 Weather Report:
Clear, 50.  Forecast for the day:  Sunny with afternoon showers, 70s.