110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Waanderlust--Phase IV | Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Following vacation, Monday had turned into a day-long catchup, with some errands thrown in, all the while awaiting some materials I'd ordered to have on hand to continue some of the ongoing jobs, so in the end, while the day was a necessary one, there was little work on board to report.

With new materials on hand and a fresh day, I got to work on the manual bilge pump installation.  To begin, I installed a conversion kit to allow the pump to operate through a bulkhead (in this case the cockpit well).  I also had to reverse the flow direction on the pump itself by removing the top cover and turning it 180.


I decided to locate the pump aft on the starboard side, and with the supplied template I marked the mounting holes and large opening as needed, then made the cuts.

    

Afterwards, I installed the pump from behind, along with its rubber bellows and plastic hatch cover from the outside, with sealant on the fasteners that secured the whole arrangement together.

         

I led the suction end of the hose into the after portion of the bilge, securing it to the after engine foundation as needed to keep it clear of the shaft.  Then, I finished the installation with the discharge end of the hose, from the pump housing aft to the through hull in the counter.

         


Returning to the cabin and the wiring job, now with new wire on hand, I continued leading the runs forward to service all the necessary fixtures, including a lighting fixture on the bulkhead and the already-installed dual 12V/USB plug.  Where possible, I made up the final connections.  With these runs complete, and no further fixtures forward on this side, I could complete the wiring here by neatening and securing the wire bundles through their runs aft towards the galley.

         

    

Above the galley, I led out from the wiring/panel enclosure a pair of additional wires for an eventual overhead fixture and another reading lamp at the aft end of the settee.   Awaiting the new fixtures themselves, I left the wires hanging for now, as they'd be surface-mounted to the fixtures along the underside of the deck and final connection and routing would have to wait till the fixtures were on hand.


Meanwhile, I turned to the port side wiring.   I'd already secured various wire tie mounts along my chosen route, but needed a couple holes in the galley bulkheads to lead the wires through.  After determining these locations, drilling the holes, and lining them with bits of hose for chafe protection, I led in three wires before the end of the day--the longest trio, those leading to the mast base where they'd eventually connect to mast wiring.  With some work still to come in the head, through which the forward ends of these wires had to run, I only temporarily strung the wires along their route so I could estimate the lengths required.  I'd bundle these wires out of harm's way when the time came to work on the head, after which I'd lead them permanently as needed.  There were more wires still to lead forward, so I didn't tighten or secure any of the wiring along the route.

         

With my wiring path through the galley cabinets only partially pre-determined, and more wires to come, I didn't want to secure any of the wiring in there quite yet.  So I left lots of slack in the cables to allow for positioning a little later.


That was it for now, but I'd continue the wiring in the days ahead, though some other immediate commitments would limit shop time for a couple days.
 

Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  6.75 hours

<Previous | Next>

0600 Weather Report:
Humid, clouds, showers, 60s.  Forecast for the day:  rain developing