110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Totoro | Wednesday, December 14, 2011

After a morning meeting with the owner to go over the repairs and other items on the work list, I got down to business and prepared the edges of the un-cored deck areas by grinding tapered sections to accept new fiberglass and tie the repairs in with the surrounding decks.  I also sanded the exposed side of the lower deck skin to prepare them for the new core, and dished out a few resin-filled holes in the cockpit seats to accept more permanent fiberglass repairs.



After cleaning up from the messy job, I continued the preparations by digging damaged core out from beneath the edges of all areas as required.  Where the core around the edges was dry, sound, and well-adhered, I left it in place.

On the foredeck, I made some additional cuts to expose the areas beneath the bow pulpit bases, which I'd later fill with solid fiberglass; there were still remnants of the popsicle sticks beneath the after two mounting locations.  While removing the sealant from these areas earlier, I also discovered how this "repair" had been effected:  someone had used a hole saw to remove a plug directly beneath the bases, through which the ice cream sticks and resin had been inserted.  (Note:  this technique did not, and does not, work.)





With all the basic preparations complete, I cleaned up from the latest efforts and began to prepare for new core installation by making patterns of all the areas, which brought me to the end of the day.  I expected to have the new core installed tomorrow.


Total Time on This Job Today:  5 hours

<Previous | Next>