|Sea Glass Refit |
May 7, 2007
Today, I finished up the sanding after water washing the epoxy that I applied last Friday. I sanded the epoxy smooth with 120, then went over the entire deck and cockpit with 220--the final grit before primer. I hand-sanded the toerails and portions of the cockpit as required.
With the sanding done, I cleaned up the shop, blowing down the walls and vacuuming the floors, staging, and other surfaces, and then cleaned the entire boat, inside and out, to remove dust and debris. I washed the deck with acetone to remove residual dust for now, and then moved on to masking.
During the remainder of the day, I masked off everything that needed it: the hull, the ports, the cockpit lockers, the hatches, and any remaining hardware. I used several rolls of masking tape and 30 yards of masking paper, plus some masking plastic for the hull.
I had business away from the shop tomorrow, so that meant primer on Wednesday. All that remained to do was a final cleaning, which I'd do just before painting.