110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Home  Contact Lackey Sailing  |  Conversion Projects  |  Project Logs  |  Tim's Projects  |  Flotsam

Ms Lynne G | Friday, September 5, 2014

With a day of patching and hole filling ahead, my first task was to vacuum the decks to remove dust, after which I solvent-washed to prepare the areas in question for the new fiberglass and filler as needed.  Inside the boat, I used more solvent to wipe beneath various fastener holes and other areas so I could cover them from beneath with tape. 



To provide a molding surface for the porthole opening patches, I cut two pieces of cheap plywood to size and covered them with plastic before pressing them in place with a brace across the boat between the two sides.  The thin plywood was stiff enough to form a good backing, but flexible enough to conform to the curvature as required.


For each of the large openings, I measured and prepared layers of new fiberglass for the patches.  For most openings, I began with a piece that fit inside the hole itself, to bring this flush with the surrounding areas, then larger, concentric pieces to fill out the remainder of the repair, 2-3 layers depending on the location.

After final preparations, I saturated the patches with epoxy resin and installed them in all their respective openings.  For the chain pipe opening in the cored foredeck, I began with a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to fit within the hole, to match the existing coring in the area (a plywood centerline strip flanked by balsa on each side).  I coated the plywood in epoxy and set it in position with a thickened epoxy adhesive around the edges, then applied the fiberglass patch above.




Later, I applied a first round of epoxy fairing compound to the numerous fastener and other small holes in the deck.




To round out the day, I cut lengths of 6" and 4" tabbing that I'd use soon to cover and reinforce the gunwale.


Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  7

<Previous | Next>