Kaholee Refit | March 26, 2007

First off this morning, I did a bit of prep work in the cabin so that I could prime the new cabinets and bulkheads.  A bit of putty required sanding, and then I cleaned all the wood with paint thinner before applying masking tape where required. Then, later in the morning, I primed all the new work from the past couple weeks, including the nav station, galley, and chainlocker bulkhead.


With the major construction complete, it was time to focus on some exterior and interior woodworking for a while, concentrating first on the pieces required to make the boat weathertight.  All the wood trim, inside and out, is to be replaced for this project.

The new forward hatch would require a frame to allow it to sit level on the crowned deck, so to get started with this I set the hatch in place in the opening and made some measurements to determine what I needed for wood.  At the forward corners, the hatch was a bit under 1-1/2" above the deck, so 1-1/2" stock would take care of it.  Since I had no solid inch and a half material, I laminated up some blanks from two sections of 3/4" material and epoxy, and clamped them securely to cure.


Next, I attended to the wooden pieces that support the metal companionway slides.  Since we planned a sea hood, there was no need for me to duplicate the decorative ends of the originals, so I made the new ones the same basic shape and size, but a little shorter--just long enough to support the metal slide.  I set these simple pieces aside for the varnish room.

During the afternoon, I continued with some woodworking, and milled blanks for many of the exterior trim pieces required, including all the companionway trim, including another glueup for the companionway sill to make up a piece that was thick enough for the job.

I build a new frame to close off the original opening into the lazarette at the end of the cockpit.  The instrument panel for the new Beta diesel was slated for installation in this opening, and it required a frame and supporting plywood.  With the new panel freshly on hand, sent well in advance of the engine by the helpful folks at Sound Marine Diesel, I determined first that it would fit, and then constructed the frame for the opening, gluing it up with epoxy. 



Total Time on This Job Today:  5.75 hours

<Previous | Next>