Kaholee Refit | August 16, 2007

It was a busy day of woodworking.  After ordering the hinges, knobs, and catches required for the various locker doors, I installed some of the painted plywood panels that I'd been working on for the past few days, including the electrical backer panel and the final galley locker panel.  Before installing the electrical backer panel, I inserted 12 rubber grommets in the holes I drilled earlier.  Of course there's still trim to be installed in these areas; that'll come just a bit later.



Next, I sanded all the locker doors with 120 and 220 grit, now that all the milling operations were complete.  This took a couple hours, all told.  Then, I milled a series of 1" wide by 1/4" thick slats out of mahogany; I planned to install these slats in the doors to close off the openings and provide a relatively strong and secure door while retaining air flow and ventilation through the openings.  Then, I sanded all of the new slats, producing a slight chamfer on the outward-facing corners to finish them off.  I wasn't sure if I had enough of the slat material or not, but it'll be simple enough to mill more later on if required.  I didn't want to waste material, and won't know until I start cutting and installing the slats whether I have enough or not.  For now, it was assuredly enough.

It was time to shape the coaming blocks.  Using a French curve, I laid out the curvature I wanted, and then planed and sanded away the excess material to achieve a pleasing curve on one of the blocks; then, I transferred the shape to the block on the other coaming and repeated the process.  There were some small voids in the epoxy that I used to glue up the blocks, so I mixed up some epoxy and mahogany dust into a paste and pressed it into the small openings to fill them.  I also filled a few worm holes in the mahogany boards.  I set the coamings aside for the epoxy to cure before continuing the milling and sanding operations.


To wrap up the day, I completed any final sanding on some of the trim pieces I had milled earlier, and then solvent washed all these wooden parts to prepare them for their first coat of varnish.  Then, I varnished all sides of all the doors and trim pieces, spreading them all over the shop in the process.


Total Time on This Job Today:  8 hours

<Previous | Next>