110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Home  Contact Lackey Sailing  |  Conversion Projects  |  Project Logs  |  Tim's Projects  |  Flotsam

Ensign #1212 | Thursday, July 3, 2014

Picking up where I left off earlier, I applied masking tape at (below) the series of tick marks I'd made on the hull, fairing the tape by eye as I went.  This represented the top edge of the future boottop; above this line would be the topside color. 



At the bow, I sheered the top edge of the stripe by eye, extending back from the stem roughly six feet.  This increased the height of the boottop at the stem by about 1/2", which would be virtually invisible by eye but would prevent a straight line's tendency to appear to narrow as the flare and hollow of the bow extended away from the eye.


Afterwards, I installed a strip of masking paper to cover the area.  I'd be moving on with the hull paint preparations soon, but for now I had a few things on deck to do in the meantime.



One of the small pending jobs was to fill and seal the cutouts in the foredeck and aft deck where I'd prepared openings for new inspection ports, and this was a good time to take care of this simple job, filling the voids at the edges (where I'd dug out existing core material) with a thickened epoxy mixture.


Flipping the seat slats back to expose the top surfaces, I prepared the brightwork for more varnish, sanding and cleaning the seat slats, coamings, and other trim pieces in the usual way.  Then, I applied another coat of varnish, making this:  five on the outboard side of the coamings; six on the seat slats' tops; seven on various exterior trim pieces; six on the exposed sides of the cabin berth fiddles; five on the main cabin bulkhead.





Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  4.5

<Previous | Next>