1975 Dufour 27 Refit | Wednesday, October 1, 2008

After a couple days attending to the final stages of other projects, I got back to things with a bit of work completing the staging around the boat and raising the planks to an appropriate level, I continued work on the port side of the hull.  The area above the cove stripe, including the section that had been beneath the aluminum rubrail, had yet to be sanded.

After cleaning up the dirt from beneath the rubrail--some of the molded recesses in the hull were completely packed with dirt and debris--I sanded the area as before, with 40 and 80 grit paper, to remove the old Awlgrip and primer down to the original gelcoat surface.



Continuing on, I moved over to the starboard side of the hull, and removed the paint up to the cove stripe level.  The gelcoat on this side had already been sanded thin in many areas during, apparently, the previous Awlgrip's preparation, and a small patch at the cutwater appeared as I removed the old paint.  In general, however, both sides of the hull were in good condition beneath the old paint, without any significant issues to contend with going forward.


After a lunch break, I switched tools and, with a random orbit finishing sander, went over the entire hull on both sides with 80 and 120 grit paper to completely remove the small bits of primer remaining and further smooth the surface.

Next, I removed the starboard rubrail, cleaned beneath it, and sanded the final area of the hull through the various grits and tools, thus completing the major hull sanding.






Total Billable Time on This Job Today:  8  hours

<Previous | Next>