Bolero Project | December 19, 2007'

It was time to start addressing the various structural installations in the cockpit and elsewhere.  I began in the bow, where I made a template for the bulkhead that I'd have to install to seal off the new deck-accessed anchor locker.  Beginning with a triangular template of roughly the overall dimensions of the space (34" wide at the top and centerline height of 27"), I scribed, cut, rescribed, and cut my way through three cardboard templates till I fine-tuned the shape appropriately.

Unfortunately, the template was too large to fit through the anchor hatch opening as I'd hoped (the various angles within the space, bounded by stem curves, hull flare, and other factors, just prevented the thing from fitting through any which way), so that meant I'd have to install it in two pieces after all.  But I could bend the cardboard, so for now I left it in one piece.  (The small holes cut in the cardboard are just finger holes to allow me to pull the template into place for fitting.)


Next, I worked on cardboard templates for the patches needed for the cockpit sole, in the areas where I cut out the air tanks some weeks ago.  Once I had the templates cut, I transferred the shape to some Corecell foam that I had on hand, and installed the foam in place to serve as a basis for the cockpit sole patch; I applied epoxy to the top of the foam, along with some dabs of hot melt glue, and pressed it up beneath the existing, adjacent sole areas.  I used some temporary screws in the foam to help me hold it and maneuver it as necessary.  This was just the first step in the process, but would provide a basis over which to laminate fiberglass in order to complete the repair.

The Corecell wasn't long enough in one piece to fill the area, so I added small pieces at the after end.


I made cardboard templates for the hollow openings at the forward end of the cockpit sole, and transferred the shapes to 1/2" plywood, which I then cut to fit.  I coated the plywood in epoxy resin and left it to cure before installation, however.

It wasn't the most exciting day, but these were good steps in the right direction.  With all the sheet goods and solid wood coming on Friday, I hoped to have the basic repairs complete so that there'd be no delays in getting to work on the new construction when I was ready.


Total Time on This Job Today: 5 hours

<Previous | Next>