Bolero Project | Friday, April 25, 2008

I spent most of the day turning large boards into smaller ones.  I began with the Spanish cedar, and over the period of a couple hours milled a series of 1-1/4" wide and 1/4" thick strips for the hull ceiling.  I figured on about 30 strips per side, allowing for a few extras, as well as waste, mistakes, or bad boards (I had a few with knots that broke during the cutting).

I took a break from cutting after this and prepped and primed the overhead in the cabin--that is, the underside of the deck areas.  After some discussion of various treatment options, we'd settled on paint for these fiberglass surfaces.  The underside of the deck was not perfectly smooth, but it was barely visible from most vantage points in the cabin (lying down only), and not at all from the cockpit.  Not wanting to add weight or complexity to the project where not truly needed, it seemed paint was the best option.  I'd apply the remaining finish coats over the next few days.


I continued with stock preparation during the afternoon, this  time focusing on the mahogany board needed for the cockpit seats.  The seat design called for a shelf outboard of the cockpit seat, between the seat and the hull, with a fiddle--aligned with the curve of the coaming directly above--between.  With about 12" outboard and up to 14" inboard of the fiddle, I figured on about 15, 1-1/2" wide strips of mahogany for each side, allowing for 3/4" gaps.  The exact number used might end up less, but probably not more.  I milled all these strips and set them aside; I also milled material for the fiddle (4-3/4", with 4" above the seat) and trim at the inboard edge of the seats.

The internal tension of wood can be unexpected at times.  This board split several feet down almost as soon as I started the cut in the table saw.

I milled some roughly-sized pieces of stock for the aft deck hatch as well, and for the hatch gutter.  I also roughly sized cherry material to use in the interior in a variety of areas.

Before cleaning up for the day and the week, I ran the four laminated cabin beams through the planer to re3move excess epoxy and smooth both flat surfaces.  I'd still need to sand these, of course.


Total Time on This Job Today:  6.5 hours

<Previous | Next>