110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Home  Contact Lackey Sailing  |  Conversion Projects  |  Project Logs  |  Tim's Projects  |  Flotsam

| Tuesday, February 24, 2015

It got so cold overnight (-28F at 0600) that the shop couldn't maintain the warmer temperature I'd set for the painting (this was the first time I'd ever seen this happen), so with shop temperatures down in the high 50s by dawn despite the thermostat setting, the cure time of the primer was affected, taking longer than usual. 

As a result, the primer was not yet ready to sand at the start of the workday, leaving me no choice but to hold off sanding till the paint was hard enough.  I made a couple attempts during the late morning, testing to see whether the sandpaper gummed up, but the paint was still too soft.   I cleaned up the painting detritus from Monday and prepared equipment for the sanding in the meantime.

During the afternoon, I sanded the coachroof and part of the cockpit, but I found that the cockpit needed more time:  with all those corners, the paint tended to end up more heavily applied around them, and these thicker areas were still too soft to sand effectively.  Disappointed with how little I'd been able to sand this day, I delayed the rest till next time.


Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  3.5

<Previous | Next>