Sea Glass Refit | April 28, 2007

I thought I'd spend a couple hours working today so that I could get a bit ahead for the start of next week.  After washing the new epoxy with water and a Scotch-Brite pad, I began with some grinding on the new fiberglass skins that I laminated over the new deck core on the foredeck yesterday, removing roughness, providing tooth, and beginning the general fairing process.  I was pleased with how fair the new material was in relation to the surrounding areas.

I also ground the newly cored areas on the coachroof to prepare them for their overlays of fiberglass.  Then, I cleaned up the dust and solvent-washed to clean the areas.


Next, I cut 3 layers of 1708 biax for each of the three small recored areas on the coachroof, and then laminated then in place, and also added two layers of biax to the single layer already in place on the two cockpit instrument holes.


Finally, I mixed a large pot of epoxy thickened into a fairing compound with microballoons and cabosil, and troweled it onto the new patches on the foredeck, as well as onto the pre-existing repairs on both sidedecks, laying down as even a coat as possible to begin the multi-stage fairing process for the decks.

Now, there will be no shortage of things to do on Monday morning.



Total Time on This Job Today:  2.25 hours

<Previous | Next>