110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Home  Contact Lackey Sailing  |  Conversion Projects  |  Project Logs  |  Tim's Projects  |  Flotsam

Sailmaster 131 | Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Before starting work on the hull, I took the time to measure and reference the positions of the existing waterline (i.e. top of the antifouling paint) and boottop for future use, as these marks might disappear during hull prep and sanding.  Starting at the bow, I installed a tape measure on the stem, and documented the position and measurements of these key points from a known, fixed location.


I repeated the process at the stern, noting all measurements for future reference.


I'd noted several areas of possible concern on the decks during hardware removal, so I performed a complete sounding inspection to get a better idea.  I prepared a complete report on the deck findings at the following link:

Deck Inspection Results

Similarly, I went through the interior in some detail to locate issues and start to determine a course forward in its reconstruction/refinishing.  I prepared an interior report at the following link:

Interior Inspection Results

Another item on the initial task list concerned some questions with the rudder.  I inspected the rudder, its bronze shoe, and related gear, and, other than the slop inherent in the rudimentary system, could determine no issues with the setup.  The tiller head collar didn't seem to have any means of securing it to the rudder shaft, which had caused the tiller to be misaligned with the rudder initially, and I'd likely install a pin or through bolt to secure this.



Given the prospects for nearby deck work, and the upcoming woodwork refinishing, I decided to remove the cockpit coamings to make working easier and to provide a superior refinishing job.  The coamings were secured through the forward return blocks with four screws from inside the cabin; these screws were badly deteriorated and corroded.  There was also a pair of screws through each coaming into its respective winch block.


In addition, each coaming featured four through bolts, plus a through bolt securing the winch blocks, which I removed in order to release the coamings.  From here, it was straightforward to remove them.



I continued by removing the aft section of the coaming across the poop deck.


Replacing the centerboard was on the project list, and, thinking ahead to the prospects, I worked a little to better expose the ends of the pivot pin in the keel, though exactly how it was secured and how to remove it had still not made themselves clear.


Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  8 hours

<Previous | Next>