110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Home  Contact Lackey Sailing  |  Conversion Projects  |  Project Logs  |  Tim's Projects  |  Flotsam

Patience | Wednesday, June 3, 2015

In the dinette locker, I installed the new battery platform, securing it with screws to the stringers as per the original.  There wasn't clearance for a covered battery box in the space, so I reinstalled the battery tray and clamp system that I'd removed earlier, and installed cable protectors on the cables that would eventually connect to the battery.  I needed to pick up a new battery to finish the system.



I examined a nearby intake hose for the head, checking the hose condition, and decided to cut off a short section to expose a fresh end, and reinstalled the hose with a new clamp.


The owner requested that I install--in a removable way--a small one-burner butane stove in place of the old alcohol stove that I removed early in the project.  With the new unit on hand, I set it in place and decided to secure it against one edge of the recess to leave a small section of possibly usable space beside it.  I milled four teak cleats to hold the stove securely in port while allowing easy removal as desired, and installed them with screws.

         


With the new check valve on hand now, I completed the plumbing to the electric bilge pump.


Next, I masked off and painted the bottom.

         


Later, after a delivery of the new manual bilge pump (two...of course the backordered one showed up as soon as I got impatient and ordered one from another source).  This pump was identical to the one that had been originally installed, which meant it would work in the same mounting holes at the aft end of the cockpit.

With no way to access both sides of the cockpit bulkhead at once to secure it, I used a small line to pull the pump up from out side and hold it in place in the opening so I could start the screws.  Fortunately, this pump body had threaded inserts for the mounting screws, making it easier to get things started in this awkward way.  The screws included were long enough to allow me to get them started through the deck plate cover while leaving room to insert the rubber bellows that had to fit within and over the bilge pump crank after the screws were started.


After getting one loose screw secured to start aligning things, I started another, this time through the plastic deck plate cover, and eventually got all four started in this way.  Then, I inserted the rubber bellows as needed, and applied some butyl tape sealant to the screw threads before pulling the cover in tightly to complete the installation.

    

Inside, I completed the hose run to the new pump, and from there to the transom outlet, and also connected the discharge end of the electric pump's hose, completing the job.  I ran the electric pump hose up in a high loop just before the outlet to avoid possible backflow from the other line.

         
 


Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  5.5 hours

<Previous | Next>
 

0600 Weather Report:
38, partly sunny.  Forecast for the day:  Mostly sunny, mid-60s.