Kaholee Refit | October 26, 2007

First thing, I discovered a bit of an odd materials problem.  I had ordered supplies for the diesel fuel system, among other things, knowing I'd be away from the shop for a day, and expected--and found--the materials to be waiting for me this morning.

I was planning to install the fuel system today, so I opened the box of 1/4" fuel supply hose that I'd ordered.  I was surprised and disappointed to discover that the hose inside the box was not what I had ordered.  Further inspection revealed that the dispenser box was labeled for the correct Shields #360 Type A1 hose that I'd ordered, but the hose inside the box was a completely different product:  a type B2 hose (Silverado 2000, Shields #315) designed for outboard engines and not suitable for use here.  I called my supplier and sorted it out, with a replacement box of the supposedly correct hose to be delivered next Tuesday (the next day of truck delivery here). 



But it wasn't as if I didn't have many other things to complete in the meantime; I merely had to refocus my expectations.  So I worked with what I had and, over the course of the day, knocked a large number of hose installations off my list.  This work doesn't make for page-turning reading excitement, nor is it particularly photogenic, so instead I'll simply list some of the work completed, with photos where applicable.

Fuel tank fill hose (1-1/2" Type A2)


    


I was all set to complete the fuel tank vent as well, but the location I chose for the transom fitting ended up being further up (from inside) than I had anticipated, meaning that because of the molded taffrail, I didn't have clearance to install the hose on the end of the straight vent fitting.  So I installed the tank end and ran the hose, but left the vent end disconnected for now and ordered a 90 transom vent fitting instead.  This is 5/8" Type B vent hose.



Potable water heater hoses (engine coolant bypass, or calorifier)


    


Raw water intake and raw water strainer (including bronze tee for raw water supply to the galley and cockpit saltwater shower pump)


         


Galley sink sump exit hose (1" Bilge/Livewell hose, Shields #149)


    


Manual galley saltwater spigot (1/2" reinforced potable water hose, Shields # 162)



LPG supply line to cabin heater



I ran the second LPG supply line to the galley stove, but discovered that the stove had an incomparable fitting--or, rather, that there was no flare fitting on the stove at all, only a slim pipe.  We're going to have to figure out how to adapt this pipe (which is welded to the stove and is not removable) to the required permanent end (flare fitting) of the flexible hose; simply cutting off the crimped end fitting of the hose and clamping the hose to the pipe is not an option.

In both LPG hose installations, I secured the hoses as necessary along their runs back to the transom, where I had previously run them outboard through deck fittings.


    


With most of the wire and hose routing now complete in the two cockpit lockers, I straightened and secured the battery cabling.  This is the engine battery; later, I'll install that battery strap and clamps. 

I still needed to install boots over the positive terminals on the house batteries on the other side.



I've been asked about wiring schematics for this project.  While there is no overall wiring diagram available (since one doesn't exist), here are the two wiring schematics that I used at the core of the installation.  Otherwise, I made the individual wire runs to each device and designed/installed the various wire runs, busses, fuse blocks, and other items on the fly.


Blue Sea ACR Charging Relay/Battery Combiner

 


Xantrex Link 20 Monitor


Total Time on This Job Today: 7.75 hours

<Previous | Next>