Kaholee Refit, Phase 3 | Sunday, May 11 (and days preceding)

During the past week, we made some good progress on a few critical tasks on the boat.  While the work list didn't seem to get any shorter--in fact, it became longer--we worked ever closer to completing the tasks required before the boat could be launched and rigged.

Continuing with the work he began last week, Allen spent some time preparing the mast for primers and paint, and applying two separate primers during the course of one day:  a green zinc chromate-based metal etching primer (Pettit) and a nasty red tie-coat primer (also Pettit).  I made a mistake and didn't specify to pick up the thinner for the red tie-coat primer (having never used the product before, I had made some incorrect assumptions about its character), so the brushed primer didn't come out that smoothly. 

In any event, the next day Allen sanded the primer with 220 to a relatively smooth surface good enough for the final coats to be applied in the near future (white Pettit Easypoxy).


On Tuesday, Richard Hallett arrived to install the dodger, bimini, and cockpit enclosure.  The dodger featured removable wings (a nice feature), and the full cockpit enclosure included complete noseeum netting as well.  (Sorry, no pictures of the screening in place).  There were a lot of pieces to store, but the end result looked great and should be very functional going forward.



One day, Allen painted the bottom--Pettit Trinidad blue.


After a debacle with the prop shaft length last weekend, Allen dropped the improperly made shaft back to H&H on Monday, and picked it up--shortened by 1-1/4"--on Friday.  Then, I spent most of the day Saturday getting it installed once and for all after fighting with both the steel coupling (a challenge to get the shaft all the way in within the tight confines of the space) and the plastic sacrificial coupling.  Having inspected the sacrificial coupling beforehand, I hadn't determined that it mattered which side was which.  But of course after getting it bolted to the transmission coupling, I discovered that indeed it did matter, since it wouldn't fit the shaft coupling properly thanks to a small notch in the other side of the coupling.  So I had to remove it again and turn it around.

In any event, eventually I secured the couplings and installed the propeller--the final job that would have prevented the boat from being launched.


During the week, I completed a few pieces of trim for the interior, on the v-berth (shown with new cushions) and engine box.  We also test-ran the engine with full success, prompting a salute from the owner.




<Previous | Next>