Kaholee Refit | August 13, 2007

First thing, I removed the clamps from the door blanks I glued up last week, and then glued the 5 remaining doors.

I sanded the first coat of white paint on the new settee lockers and other items that I'd been painting, so that those pieces would be ready for a second (and final) coat of paint later in the day.  With that out of the way, I cut pieces of mahogany for the coaming blocks.  The owner requested  a curvaceous shape similar to the original, so since I didn't have stock that large, I cut three, 3/4" thick pieces for each side according to my cardboard patterns, and then epoxied the three pieces together to form a thicker blank.  I set these aside to cure.

With the settee lockers wrapping up, I began to consider installing the new cabin sole.  To that end, I milled a series of 1/4" thick strips of teak from some 1-1/2" thick teak stock that came with the boat.  With these strips miled and on hand, I'd be more likely to get to work laying out the new sole, now that most of the new woodwork and finish work in the cabin above the level of the sole was complete (or nearly so).


There were a few more plywood panels  required at the aft end of the cabin, above the nav station and in the galley.  So for most of the remainder of the day, I patterned, fine-tuned, and cut the panels for these areas:  one above the nav station, which would eventually be covered by a further panel containing the electrical panels and other equipment; a longitudinal galley panel running from behind the stove to the aft bulkhead; and, finally, the plywood panel that would eventually contain the electrical panels.  All told, this work took several hours.

In the hidden nav station electrical panel, which divides the interior from the cockpit locker and machinery spaces aft, I drilled a series of holes to contain some rubber grommets through which I'd later lead the battery cables and wiring.  I had trouble finding grommets that were large enough, yet designed for 1/4" thick panels, so eventually I settled on a series of 3/4" ID rubber grommets, which fit in a 1-1/16" hole.  I drilled 12 holes to provide plenty of space for the eventual wiring and possible future expansion.

I wrapped up the day with more painting:  final coat of finish white where applicable, and a coat of primer on some of the new plywood panels.



Total Time on This Job Today:  7.75 hours

<Previous | Next>